This will be a requirement for practices from April 2014, as part of the contract change for 2014 – 2015 for General Practitioners
Practices will need to ensure that each patient on their practice list aged 75 and over is assigned a named, accountable GP who will;
- Take lead responsibility for ensuring that all appropriate services required under the contract with the practice are delivered to the patient
- Where required, based on the professional judgement of the named GP, work with relevant associated health and social care professionals to deliver a multidisciplinary care package that meets the needs of the patient
- Ensure that the physical and psychological needs of the patient are recognised and responded to by the relevant clinicians in the practice
- Ensure that the patient has access to an over 75’s health check if they request one
We will work through our patient list of patients aged 75 and over and allocate a ’Named GP’ to the patient record – this will be a manual process looking to see who the patient sees the most frequently. Patients will be informed by letter. Patients can, if they wish change the GP that has been assigned to them by contacting reception who will then amend the medical record accordingly.
New patients will be asked upon registration who they would like to be registered with.
We are using this method as an aid to inform our patients who are aged over 75 to engage with us regarding their preference for ‘Named GP’.
The ‘Named GP’ will not be responsible for;
- Liability for the work of other doctors or health professionals.
- 24 hour responsibility for the patient
- Personal availability throughout the working week.
- Be the only GP to care to that patient.