Clinics & Services


  • Heart Disease by appointment
  • Diabetic by appointment
  • Asthma by appointment
  • Childhood Immunisation every Monday morning
  • Young Persons please telephone to make an appointment
  • Sexual Health please telephone to make a WISH (Wellbeing in Sexual Health) appointment


General management of medical conditions

  • Health promotion advice
  • Emergency care if appropriate
  • Referral for other services, if appropriate
  • Urgently required care for temporary residents

Additional Services

  • Cervical screening
  • Contraceptive services
  • Vaccinations and immunisations
  • Child health surveillance
  • Maternity services

Enhanced services

  • Anti-coagulant monitoring
  • IUCD fitting
  • Contraceptive Implants
  • Influenza and Pneumococcal immunisation
  • Minor surgery procedures
  • Near patient testing for rheumatoid arthritis

In addition

  • Registered patients aged 16 -75 who have not been seen for 3 years may request a consultation.
  • Registered patients aged over 75 years who have not been seen in the previous 12 months may request a consultation. (If you are unable to attend the surgery for these checks because of your medical condition a home visit may be arranged.)

Attached Services

We have a number of services attached to the practice. They can be contacted either through the Medical Centre or the Cottage Hospital. The services include:

  • District nurses
  • Midwives
  • Health Visitors
  • Community Psychiatric nurses
  • Counsellors
  • Physiotherapists
  • Chiropodists
  • Dietician
  • Social Workers
  • West Cumbria Carers
  • Strengthening Families Team
  • Palliative Care Nurses
  • LINK Wellbeing service for Children and young people

Sexual Health Service

We offer screening, testing and treatment for all sexually transmitted infections as well as a full range of contraception including implant and coil fitting. The service is free and confidential. It is supported by North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust and it is hoped that it will make Sexual Health Services more accessible particularly to young people.

The service will be delivered by Dr Alison Westwell, Nurse Jane Sharkey and Nurse Clare Archbold. They have all received recent training from the British Association for Sexual Health as well as on-going mentorship and support from Dr Anthony Rae, Consultant in Genito-Urinary Medicine in Glasgow.

It would be appropriate to attend the clinic for a check up if you have had a new partner in the last 3 months or if you feel you may have put yourself at risk in any way or if you have symptoms. Some of the symptoms you may be concerned about are vaginal or urethral discharge, pain when you pass water, genital ulcers, warts, rash or itch, testicular pain or vaginal bleeding when you weren’t expecting your period.

Patients can self refer by phoning the practice reception 017687 72025 to make a WISH (wellbeing in sexual health) appointment, or for information on where you can make an appointment other than at the practice, click on this link.

Keswick Cottage Hospital

The doctors also provide services at Keswick Cottage Hospital. The hospital has facilities for minor injuries, x-rays, physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

Visiting consultants hold regular clinics. There is an active day hospital for the elderly. Our local hospital also has beds that can be used by the doctors for their own patients. Patients with injuries may be asked to attend the hospital for treatment.

Been Off Work?

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – Fit Note

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Discussing Your Health with a Nominated Person

You can give consent for us to discuss any aspect of your health record with a nominated individual by completing this form and returning it to reception.

GPWSI (GP With Special Interest)

Dr J Grove and Dr T Hooper perform Minor Surgery

GP Private/non NHS funded services

Click here for Private Fees 2019